Saturday, June 18, 2011

Generic brand vs. name brand

Ahh it's the epic battle isn't it? Name brand over generic brand. Is it worth the extra money for the name brand? Or are all generic brands just the same?

As a rule, before I started couponing, I bought mainly generics. A few items I got the name brands (toilet paper, cokes, and oatmeal) but for the most part, generics were cheaper so that is what I bought.

Since I started couponing, I have been able to buy the name brand products for the same or less than the generic version.

I used to shop at our local Aldi store quite a bit before I started strategic couponing. Since I started I have been doing most of my grocery shopping at Publix or price matching at Wal-Mart. Today I couldn't get to Publix (it's about a 30 minutes drive for me) so I went to Aldi to do my "major" grocery shopping of the week. I was disappointed in most of the prices that I found there, and even more disappointed when I spent $30 more than my normal weekly grocery budget!

So what did I learn today? That all my hard work with couponing is paying off! Through couponing I can buy name brand products at a cheaper price than buying the generic brand of everything! Plus, you get the name brand quality!

So I would like you guys' opinion. Do you think name brand is better than generic? Or are there products that you use that are just the same no matter who makes them?

How are you doing with your couponing experience? Would you consider yourself an extreme couponer, or just a strategic shopper like me? Let me know your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. hi starr,
    i'm not into couponing yet but i will be once i discovered how it works in our country.

    but it's true, it's better to rely on good brands rather on generic ones. the difference are huge. not only in price but also in quality. i choose quality. that's why i cling on good brand names. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most things I go by whichever is cheaper but unfortunately I have sensitive skin so things like makeup, deoderant, lotions, shampoo, and even cleaning supplies, I stick with what I use no matter the price. My hubby is particular about our paper towels and toilet paper but other than that he doesn't care so I shop by price.

    I'm a new follower of yours too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please leave me a comment!

The latest Amazon.com deals